Due to the age and fabric of our beautiful building, some of the floor surfaces can be uneven. We are fully committed to the safety and well-being of all visitors and take every precaution to highlight any areas which may present a trip hazard.
We have adapted as much of the Cathedral as possible to make it more accessible for those with limited mobility. There is a public disability parking bay near the front of the cathedral and access for visitors in wheelchairs is through the west doors. The west door entrance can be accessed by ramps and the south door exit is ramp free. Wheelchair users can access most areas of the Cathedral ground floor. All areas are either flat or ramped, including the Lady Chapel and the Cathedral shop.
Accessible toilets are in the Processional Way, between the north choir aisle and the Lady Chapel.
We advise you to bring your own wheelchair to the cathedral, if possible. We do have a small number available on request and you are required to read and sign to say you agree to our terms and conditions on arrival. Please note:
- The provision of a wheelchair is on the understanding and agreement that you are using it at your own risk and that Ely Cathedral therefore takes no responsibility for any injury, either to yourself or others, caused by your use of it.
- When using one of our provided wheelchairs, you MUST
- Be accompanied, at all times, by another person.
- Immediately report to a member of staff if you experience any problems in using it
- Return it at the end of your visit back to where you collected it from.
We have a hearing loop systems that cover the Choir, South and North Transepts and the Lady Chapel. These are used at all services.
We have one permanent designated disabled parking place in the South Car park and there is plenty of free parking nearby. For more information on disabled parking in Ely near to the Cathedral please view the city's Parking map
Guide Dogs, Hearing Dogs and Assistance Dogs
Are welcome in the Cathedral at all times.
To arrange wheelchair seating for services, please telephone 01353 660342.
Access to the Towers
Access to the Octagon Tower (165 steps), and West Tower (288 steps) is via stairs only. We recommend that those with pre-existing medical conditions, mobility difficulties or concerns with heights and confined spaces do not attempt this climb.
If you have a query about access, please email our Visitor Services Team