'Be a Chorister for a day!'
Join us at Ely Cathedral on Saturday 9 November 2013 if you are interested in being a Chorister for a Day.
The day is open to all boys aged 6-8 years old. Parents are more than welcome to attend. There is no charge. We hope to see as many young boys as possible!
For information please contact: Secretary to Head of Junior School, Mrs K Driver Tel: 01353 660732
Programme for the day
- 10:00am - Participants arrive at King's Ely Junior. Meet in Morbey Hall for registration and refreshments.
- 10.15am - Vocal Warm up for all
- 10:25am - Short concert by the Choristers.
- 10.45am - Workshop (1) for participants and younger choristers (boys in years 4 to 6) led by Peter North
- 11.05am - Mock voice trial
- 11:25am - Workshop (2) led by Paul Trepte.
- 11:45am - Walk to the Monastic Barn for Lunch.
- 12:00pm - Lunch in the Monastic Barn .
- 12:45pm - Tour of Choir House.
- 1:15pm - Younger Choristers rehearse in Song School.
- 1:30pm - Participants join Junior Choristers. Work begins with Junior Choristers and participants to prepare for our service, using Song School at first but many areas of the cathedral from about 2.00pm. This session will include processions in various parts of the Cathedral, giving the opportunity to try out the acoustics and some work on simple music which will be incorporated into the short service.
- 1:30pm - Presentation to parents by Mr Porter-Thaw "The life of a Chorister" and Q&A session.
- 2:00pm - Parents free to tour Cathedral or observe the boys rehearsing in the cathedral. (NB: No charge to parents for entry to the Cathedral).
- 2:45pm - Senior Choristers arrive to join the group, ready for the service.
- 3.00pm - Informal service. Congregation follows the boys at all times during this processional service.
- 3.30pm - Service finishes (in the Lady Chapel). Photos / certificates are presented.
Visitors to King's Ely may park in the Barton Farm area where custodians will be waiting to direct you. Alternatively, there is a large car park opposite King's Ely Junior and limited car-parking on the King's Ely Junior site itself. Cars may not be parked in the immediate vicinity of the Cathedral.